Derry Road Animal Hospital

7025 Danton Promenade
Mississauga, ON L5N 5E5


Chocolate Toxicity


Chocolate is a very serious, year-round threat for our pets. It is so common in most households, that many people don't realize how harmful it can actually be. The ingredient theobromine is what can cause vomiting and restlessness in dogs and cats. Larger doses can potentially be fatal. It is very important to take your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible if the pet has eaten any amount of chocolate. Taking your pet to the veterinarian is a good safety practice as well, even if you are unsure if your pet has gotten into your chocolate. 

It is commonly thought that when your pet eats something it is not supposed to, it will develop an upset stomach and show fairly immediate signs of being ill, but this is unfortunately not the case. It is often too late when the owner realizes that their pet should be taken to the veterinarian.